• Harriman Building
  • Pursuing dreams
  • Realizing potential
  • Creating hope
  • Strengthening bonds
  • Facing challenges
  • Regaining confidence
Voted America's Best Hospitals 
            in Rehabilitation Medicine Skip Navigation LinksHome > History

Rancho's History

A Tradition of Excellence

  • 2010 - Rancho launches a program to reinvent rehabilitation care
  • 2009 - Outpatient visits reached an all-time high of 76,000 visits, a 50% growth in 3 years
  • 2008 - The Day Rehabilitation and Wellness Center begins full operation
  • 2007 - Implemented a 20-bed acute stroke/neurology unit
  • 2006 - The Los Amigos Research & Education Institute celebrates its 50th Anniversary
  • 2005 - World renowned physician Jacquelin Perry, MD celebrates 50 years at Rancho
  • 2004 - Rancho conducts more than 50,000 outpatient visits
  • 2003 - 20thanniversary of the Rancho Los Amigos Foundation
  • 2002 - Rancho’s Language and Culture Resource Center honored for management excellence by CAPH (California Association of Public Hospitals & Health Systems)
  • 2001 - The Art of Rancho program, featuring Rancho patients, earns international honors
  • 2000 - Inaugural Rancho Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine and Science is published
  • 1999 - Rancho is renamed Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center
  • 1998 - Once again listed in the top 10 of U.S. News and World Report’s best rehabilitation hospitals
  • 1997 - Opening of HOME, a housing facility for patients families and significant others
  • 1996 - The Jacquelin Perry Neuro-Trauma Institute and Rehabilitation Center opens, one of the nation’s most advanced rehabilitation patient care buildings
  • 1995 - Centralized Admission and Referral Office (CARO) established
  • 1994 - Medical Resonance Imaging Center opens Primary Care Clinic for patients with spinal cord and brain injuries
  • 1992 - Construction begins on the first phase of the Rancho 2000 Master Plan to build a 150-bed in-patient unit called The Jacquelin Perry Neuro-Trauma Institute and Rehabilitation Center
  • 1989 - Estin Comarr Spinal Injury Clinic opens. The Las Floristas Center for Applied Rehabilitation Technology established to evaluate and train the disabled through the use of technological advancements
  • 1988 - Rancho celebrates its Centennial – 100 years of excellence!
  • 1985 - Alzheimer’s Disease Diagnosis and Treatment Center established
  • 1983 - RLA Foundation, Inc. formed to provide additional program support
  • 1979 - Rancho receives federal designation as a model system for spinal cord injury care
  • 1976 - Liver Service relocated to Rancho from John Wesley Hospital
  • 1972 - Rancho becomes officially affiliated with the University of Southern California
  • 1971 - Seating Center for wheelchairs and special cushions established
  • 1968 - Prosthetics Department created
  • 1966 - Children’s Orthopedic Services established
  • 1961 - Pathokinesiology Service founded
  • 1959 - The first accreditation for Rancho Los Amigos Hospital received from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals
  • 1955 - Dr. Vernon L. Nickel, introduces the halo, a method of traction and immobilization for the cervical and upper thoracic spine
  • 1953 - Orthopaedic surgical procedures begun, led by Vernon L. Nickel, M.D. Drs. Perry and Nickel perform innovative work in the area of spinal fusions on ventilator dependent patients
  • 1952 - The first research lab was set up for chemical, pulmonary and physiological studies
  • 1951 - Rancho was designated as a respiratory center for poliomyelitis patients – the beginning of rehabilitation at Rancho
  • 1929 - Occupational Therapy started
  • 1927 - Physical Therapy started
  • 1888 - The first buildings were built and the first indigent residents were transferred from the Los Angeles County hospital to the county Poor Farm



Page last updated January 1, 2011
Please forward any comments or problems with this Web Site to webmaster@rancho.org

© 2011-2013 RANCHO LOS AMIGOS NATIONAL REHABILITATION CENTER
7601 East Imperial Highway,  Downey,  California 90242
Telephone: 562.401.7111  |  TTY/TDD: 562.401.8450